Hi everyone! Today is the last January Friday Five linkup with Cynthia, Courtney, and Mar this year! The topic is “Free Friday”, so I figured I would keep up with the January theme of writing posts about 2016 and share my bucket list for 2016! These aren’t necessarily my goals, mostly because there are so many reasons why each of these things might not work out this year. But there’s nothing wrong with dreaming big! This is a list of things that I’d love to see happen, but if they don’t I’ve got an alternate goal in place so that I’m at least making progress towards the things I really want to do!
1. Run the Lost Lake Run in Seward, AK in August.: Unlike the very famous Mount Marathon trail race in Seward, this one is much longer but easier. It’s 16 miles point to point up and down a mountain with gorgeous views, and while I’m not equipped to run 16 miles anytime soon I know I can hike the entire thing in 5 hours -so even if I have to walk all of it I still won’t come in last place. The problem is that it sells out super fast so I’ve got to be right there when registration opens! And also my main goal is to stay healthy and injury-free for the Philly Marathon, so I can always wait until next year for this race.
Alternate goal: Run any trail race. I want to do more trail running this year!
Hiking the Lost Lake trail last summer!
2. Hike the Crow Pass trail: We started gathering backpacking supplies last fall, and now we’re almost ready to get out there for a long overnight hike! This one is absolutely gorgeous and right here in Anchorage so I really want to it to happen this year. The hard part is the logistics of a point-to-point trail, finding the best time to go with weather/snow/bears, and convincing my husband we can really do it!
Alternate goal: Take one backpacking trip here in AK.
3. Learn how to ski: I got to try cross country skiing out last weekend, but now I really want to know what I’m doing out there! The bad news is that Anchorage is having some sort of early spring and our half inch of snow is now icy slush from all the rain. If we don’t ever get actual snow this goal can’t happen this year.
Alternate goal: Learn how to ice skate – I can do that indoors regardless of temperature!
4. Cross three more states off of my 50 states running list: I did this last year, and I’d love to keep up that momentum so that I can reach my 50 states goal as soon as possible! Plus travel is a necessity in my life. I need to get on a plane at least every six months!
Alternate goal: run in at least one other state, even if it’s just a fun run on vacation.
5. Buy a house: We currently live in the midtown area of Anchorage, which is super close to some great food, shopping, and the most gorgeous running trails. But our apartment is tiny and we’re sick of keeping so much of our stuff in a storage unit because we don’t have a garage, closets, or a second bedroom. So we’re hoping to make the move to a townhouse sometime this summer! It’s scary but I think we’re ready to make a commitment to Alaska!
Alternate goal: Learn what I can do this year to make this a reality in 2017.
This fabulous trail is currently a 2 minute drive from my apartment so I’d like to keep it that way 🙂
What’s on your bucket list for 2016? If you could do one crazy amazing thing this year what would it be?