Hi everyone! It’s Friday and I’m actually blogging – woohoo! Because this is such an awesome event, I’m making sure to link up with the Friday Five Linkup with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney for the first time in forever! I missed blogging with you girls! This week is a free Friday, so in light of the fact that I’m running my first race of the entire summer I decided to write about the five things I love about race day.
1. Those pre-race jitters. They’re scary sometimes, but I also really love the anticipation of what I’m about to do. It gets me so pumped up to get out there and run!
2. Picking out my race day gear. I’ve usually got a few options going until the morning of the race when I have a better idea of what the weather will be like. I make sure I have all of my hydration and fuel packed up too!
3. The start line excitement. I hate waiting for a race to start, but I love when I actually get to cross the starting line! No matter how many races I’ve run, I know that I’ll always have that feeling of “I can’t believe I’m actually doing this!” as I finally start to run!
4. The finish line! This is probably the best part of the whole race experience for me. Nothing is better than finally crossing the finish line that you’ve looked forward to crossing for so long! I definitely get a bit teary-eyed when I cross finish lines, especially after my injury.
5. Post-race meals. I usually begin to crave certain foods mid-race, and I can’t wait to get done so I can eat them! My most common choices are pizza, a burger, or waffles. Clearly you can see that I run to eat!
I can’t believe that I’ll be doing the Lost Lake Run on Saturday (missed that news? Read this)! Although I won’t be able to run very much of it, I’m so excited to hike it! I’m really looking forward to experiencing all of my favorite things about running a race as I take on my longest distance yet. Wish me luck!
26 thoughts on “Five Things I Love About Race Day”
Race Days are awesome, such a mix of emotions! Good Luck for your race xo
Good luck and enjoy 🙂
I also get pre-race jitters, even at smaller races! Good luck!
I always have them! Sometimes I can’t even sleep before a race. I hope I can sleep tonight!
Race day is always a mix of emotions for sure! The jitters I could do without.
Haha I’m with you. Except the excited ones, I can keep those!
Oh yes, food gets me through a lot of runs & races. 🙂
Good luck this weekend! I once walked a half with a friend who was injured. It’s still hard! And that’s not hiking!
Thanks! I know it’s probably going to be tough but I’m excited to at least be out there!
It’ll be beautiful! At least you don’t have to deal with our humidity (I’m assuming).
Now that I think of it, I haven’t done a race since April and I do miss all of that. I can’t wait for all of this, but I have to wait till October. What a great reminder of what I’m missing. Good luck with the race!!!
Yay I’m glad you have a race coming up soon! Good luck!
All the best with your race. I’ll be following you now and looking for your recap.
My post here: https://runwright.net/2016/08/26/5-questions-for-runners/
Thanks! I’ll have to check your post out!
Crossing a finish line never gets old in my opinion!
Love it and welcome back! Good luck with the race. I need to start planning Alaska!
Thanks! I’m glad to be blogging again now that my house is all set up and my in laws are gone!
yay! Good luck!!
Have a great race! I’ve really been trying to focus on the positives of racing this year, so this was great to read. Post-race food is definitely excellent motivation! Haha and also conquering some goals, hopefully 😉
Ugh I used to get so stressed about racing and took it too seriously. Now that I never get to race anymore I’m trying to have fun instead of go fast. I think I used to care too much about goals – they’re important but I really need to enjoy the process too!
Good luck for your race! It looks amazing.
I always end up eating bananas after races but when I’ve done longer ones I’ve just wanted to eat a whole bag of chips (as in fries). Must be the carbs and salt I needM
Best of luck!
Post race beer 😀 have fun!