Hi everyone! It’s finally Friday, and it’s time for another Friday Five with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney! And it’s not just any Friday – it’s the warmest Friday of the year so far! Even here in Alaska, it’s already feeling like spring and I’m loving it. In honor of this awesome time of year, I wanted to share 5 things that I’m looking forward to this spring:
1. My first triathlon: The Gold Nugget Triathlon is on May 15th and I’m so excited! Training has been so much fun, which is probably because I haven’t trained for anything since my last half marathon back in October. But I’m really enjoying learning how to bike and swim, and I can’t wait to cross my first tri finish line!
2. Hiking all the trails: Right now, I’m only hiking at sea level on ice-free trails. But soon I’ll be hiking up into the mountains once the trails are safe and the avalanche risk is gone. I think Powerline Pass is the first one on my list!
Seriously, I can’t wait to be back up there for some epic running and hiking!
3. Road trips: Now that the roads are clear I’m looking forward to driving all over the place! Last year our big road trip was to Fairbanks (check that recap out here) but this year we want to make it down to Valdez. They just got 2 feet of snow last week though so that might have to happen later in the summer. But I know that Seward is the first place we’ll be visiting this spring!
4. The midnight sun: It’s already sunny until 9 pm so it’s only a matter of time before we’re getting just three hours of twilight each night from midnight until 3 am! This is definitely the time of year where I spend way too much time hiking late at night and not enough time sleeping.
5. Moving! We had our house inspection on Wednesday and it went well, so barring any crazy situations from our bank or their bank during closing we should be moving on May 23rd! I can’t wait to spend all summer on our back deck!
What are you looking forward to this spring? Are you planning any upcoming road trips?
25 thoughts on “Friday Five: Five Things I Am Looking Forward to This Spring”
You have absolutely gorgeous scenery where you live. Congrats on the home inspection…sounds like all systems are a go for moving.
Thank you! I can’t wait to move it, we have a gorgeous running trail right next to the house and I’m really looking forward to running on it asap!
You have so many wonderful things to look forward to this spring! So excited for both your triathlon and for you guys to close on your house!
So many exciting things coming up! New house, new type of race, and I would imagine that Alaska has a GORGEOUS spring 😀
It does! It’s weird though – the snow is gone and things are all pretty but we won’t get green grass, leaves on trees, or flowers for another month. I’m looking forward to that happening though!
Lots of great stuff coming your way! Those trails look gorgeous! Can’t wait to hear more about the new house! Congrats!
Thank you! I’ll probably do a whole post when we move in!
So exiting about the house!!! Congrats!!! Wow, three hours of night, crazy!!! I could deal with that! I have never been to Alaska but here it is beautiful. The veterinarian I work for use to live in Fairbanks. I am sure the hiking is amazing! Happy Spring!! Cheers, it’s Friday!
Thanks! Yes, it’s amazing in the summer! It doesn’t really get dark for about 2 months, and you have to stay up past midnight to see the sun set!
I’d love all that hiking! But I don’t know how I’d feel about it being light out until 3 am!
Haha Alaska summers are crazy! The sun sort of sets after midnight, and then rises again at 3 am. It’s totally nuts but makes running at midnight possible!
Sounds like you have an exciting spring to look forward to this year! I am also moving this summer and am slowly starting to freak out about everything that has to happen before then!
So true! I’m excited to move but stressed about packing everything and getting it over there. I hate moving so much but I know it will be worth it!
I’m so envious of the gorgeous landscape that you have to run in. I must go to Alaska some day.
Yes you should! Definitely come in the summer, you’ll love it!
So much fun stuff to look forward to! I’m looking forward to warm weather runs, my first marathon, and FREE TIME!!
Yay for the marathon! I’m so excited for you!
Congratulations on the new house! The Alaskan landscape looks beautiful for hiking!
Thank you! It’s definitely a gorgeous place to run and hike!
I’ve got the Denver marathon in May that I’m looking forward to, but then nothing really. I think I’m just looking forward to getting out in the sun for some fun with the kiddos this year. You know, water parks, playgrounds and beach trips.
The marathon sounds exciting! And those sounds like awesome plans for getting outdoors. Have fun!
So excited for your move and for your first tri – can’t wait to read more about both!!
Thank you! I’ve got around 2 months until each of those things and I’m excited/stressed about how soon they are coming up!
Congrats on the home! So excited you will be participating in your new tri 🙂 Also looking forward to all your outdoorsy photos – my favorites!