Hi everyone! Happy first Friday of fall! In case you’ve missed all my Instagram pictures this week, it’s peak leaf time right now in Anchorage and I can’t get enough of it. The leaves only turn yellow here, which is kind of fascinating to me given that I grew up on the East Coast where leaves are lots of different colors. I’ve spent some time outside every day this week just taking it all in because it’s so beautiful. And so when I saw that today’s Friday Five Linkup with Courtney, Cynthia, and Mar was themed “Five Favorite Fall Activities” I was so excited! Fall is my favorite time of year and I’ve got so many things I look forward to doing every year:
1. Running: Of course this is #1! Fall running brings cooler temps, gorgeous views, and crunchy leaves on the trails. Plus it’s the last snow and ice free time to run and race outside and I can’t get enough of it before winter comes. Here’s some views from my run on Thursday night:
2. Hiking: Our mountains get snowy pretty quickly, but there’s so many trails at sea level that we can do before needing studded shoes! My favorites include Eklutna Lake and Kincaid Park.
3. Eating all the pumpkin things: Yeah, so on the WLC I can’t have any added sugar. But I’ve been trying really hard to sneak some pumpkin flavored things into my meals that are sugar, dairy, and gluten free! This week I made a pumpkin pie smoothie and pumpkin muffins, both using bananas as a natural sweetener. They weren’t too bad, but I do miss my sugar – pumpkin is not a sugary fruit at all!
4. Planning a Halloween costume: Last year I was so focused on trying to move into our new place that Halloween totally got pushed to the side. I did, however, come up with a terrifying costume 🙂 This year I’m hoping to have more time to plan out something great – and plan an additional costume to wear while running the Frightening 4k too!
5. Getting cozy: This is the time of year where I can start wearing boots and sweatshirts, curling up on the sofa with a book and a giant blanket, and making lots of soups and crockpot meals to warm me up. Oh, and there are lots of pumpkin candles to burn. I’m excited for the drop in temperatures and all the fun that goes with it!
What are your favorite fall activities? Is it looking and feeling like fall where you live yet?