Hi everyone! It’s Friday, which means it’s time for another Friday Five with Courtney, Cynthia, and Mar! This week’s topic is “Five fitness trends I’ll never try”. I feel like there are quite a few fitness trends that I immediately know I’m not going to get into no matter how much other people like them. As I learned from Pilates, not every type of workout will work for each person – everyone has different preferences, goals, and body types. I’m looking for things that will make me a better runner and make my body feel good while getting in a good workout. You might love this stuff, and that’s awesome that it works for your body and your fitness! But these 5 things just won’t work for me:
1. Bikram: I’m not a fan of super hot environments (that’s why I live in Alaska!) so 105 degree heat inside a small room with lots of sweaty people sounds awful. I think the 85 degree flow class at AY is my limit on heated yoga!
2. Crossfit: It seems too intense for me and not really what I’m looking for in a workout. Plus we all know that both runners and crossfitters both exhibit cult-like workout behavior, and I’m firmly in the running cult. I’m not leaving it for box jumps and all that jazz.
3. Zumba: I’m a terrible dancer so there is no way I’m going to try choreographed dancing designed to make me sweat!
4. Mud runs: to be fair, I’ve done one of these before. I ran the Dirty Girl Mud Run in 2013 and it was pretty awful. As a klutz I feel like I’m going to sprain my ankle from normal life things, so having to deal with obstacles was terrifying! It ended with a giant slide into mud and the slide kept getting shut down because people kept getting injured when they slammed into the bottom. Nope, not doing that again! Plus I keep reading news articles about people getting super sick from gross poop bacteria in the mud at big mud runs and that is seriously enough to keep me away from all mud for the rest of my life!
5. The beer mile: I read an article in Runner’s World about the beer mile (chugging a beer after each loop around a track for one mile while simultaneously trying to run faster than everyone else) and I could not understand how that is a thing. Beer after a 5k is totally awesome. Beer while sprinting as fast as possible is totally crazy! Also add to this one any race involving food consumption while running. I love food and I love running, but my stomach needs them to be separate!
And now that I’ve listed a bunch of stuff I’ll never do, I’d like to take a moment to list five fitness activities I’m dying to try! If you haven’t tried these, what are you waiting for?
1. Running a marathon: Okay this is not really a trend, but it’s just really hard and I want to do it someday!
2. Skiing: Either cross country or skate skiing, because both happen on flat ground. As I said before, I’m a klutz!
3. Ice skating: My balance is horrible so this will be interesting. But I bought myself skates and I’m ready for the Westchester Lagoon to freeze over in a few months so I can try them out!
4. Spin: Anchorage is FINALLY getting their first spin studio in August and even though I’ve only taken 2 spin classes in my life I’m really excited to see what our newest fitness studio will be like!
5. SUP: I bought a Groupon for this so it’s totally going to happen soon!
What fitness trend will you never try? What fitness activity have you never tried but really want to?