Hi everyone! I seriously can’t believe it’s already July – it feels like just yesterday that I was running the Northern Lights Resolution Run and celebrating the end of 2014! Given the fact that we’re halfway through 2015 already, I wanted to do a quick check in of my goals for the year:
1. PR in all race distances: I’m actually doing pretty well in this! I got an automatic PR in my very first 12k a few weeks ago (and was super speedy!), PRed in the 5 mile distance, and technically got a PR for running my first 8.6 mile relay leg…if that’s a thing. I’m definitely faster than I was in the second half of last year and I’m hoping for a few more PRs later this year too!
Post-PR celebration at the Twilight 12k!
2. Go sub-2:30 in a half marathon: Not yet. Deeeeeeep breaths. Not going to overthink the Her Tern Half in 2 weeks. Positive thoughts.
3. Get into yoga: I’ve been doing so much more yoga than ever before! I got into doing at home yoga with Yoga With Adrienne, participated in the #LoveYourHips instagram challenge, and have been doing short 10 minute yoga routines each morning/after each run made up of my favorite poses (sun salutations, hip openers, and pigeon!). I spent a few months trying out a few different studios around Anchorage, and yesterday I bought a 1 month membership to Anchorage Yoga just to try out a bunch of their classes! I’m hoping to go at least 3 times a week for some deep stretching. I’m definitely doing well on this one! It feels so good to stretch more after each run and to use yoga to wake up and get more energy. I don’t know why I didn’t do this one sooner!
4. Do more “Alaskan” cross training (AKA fun outdoor stuff): I have been hiking like crazy! I’ve also gotten into disc golf, done some kayaking, and have been exploring some trail running. Balancing hiking with half marathon training has been tough but it’s not like I can give up hiking in the summer! I also recently bought a groupon for SUP, archery lessons, and brew-ga (yoga in a brewery) so I’m excited to try those things out as well.
5. Run 500 miles throughout the year: This is going really well! I hit the halfway point in my long run last weekend, and I also discovered that my monthly milage has been steadily increasing since the winter. I ran 65.9 miles last month and I’m so excited about it!
In the second half of 2015 I’d like to focus on the following:
- Run some more 5ks. I would love to test out my HTH speed work by pushing hard in a shorter race, and I haven’t PRed in this distance since 2013.
- Run at least 1 more half after HTH. Any west coast fall half marathon suggestions?
- Survive Ragnar Colorado!
- Do a 30 day yoga challenge. I tried this in the winter and didn’t get through it. I’d love to take on that challenge again!
- Hike one longer distance trail. I’m hoping for either Lost Lake or Powerline Pass, both of which require cars at both ends of the trail and all day to complete the 14ish mile lengths.
- Learn how to ski. This is contingent on snow (which is why I didn’t get to do it last year) but the ski scene is pretty big here. I’m hoping to take a few classes to learn how to cross country ski on all of my running trails.
What were your big goals for 2015? Are you making any progress or totally making new goals?
20 thoughts on “2015 Goal Check In”
I was going to tell you that when I was in Alaska, I took classes at Anchorage Yoga and that they are awesome there…but looks like you are already going! I think you will enjoy those. Nice job so far this year.
They’re pretty awesome! I’m excited about the large amount of classes they have, I feel like I have so many to try out!
Congrats on all your goals! You are doing an amazing job!!
Congrats – seems like you are well on your way to reaching your goals. Yoga made a massive difference in my running and overall health. I’ve just gotten back into going to a class and its so wonderful!
Thanks! Yoga really is wonderful – I feel so much better after I do it, even if it’s only 10 minutes!
I had to change my goals for 2015 recently. I’ve been injured for 6 months with my hamstring and I am JUST starting to feel better. My first FULL Marathon is out the door until next year but I’m finally okay with that.
Way to crush some of your goals!
I’m glad you’re starting to feel better! It sucks when an injury derails your goals but it sounds like you’re doing okay now.
It’s been a long road but I’m finally on my way 🙂
Awesome goal progress! Wooo!
Omg, skiing…..so scary and dangerous! I’ve never been, but I’m okay with that 😉
Haha I think downhill skiing is dangerous so I’m sticking with flat ground cross country skiing instead! The mountains here are pretty steep so downhill skiing isn’t really big here.
With the way your HTH training is going, I don’t think your new half PR is too far off 🙂
Your groupons sound amazingly fun! I’ve only done SUP a couple times, but loved it. I kind of hate driving though…and driving into DC to do it is thoroughly unappealing to me. I’ll save it for vacations. Archery sounds awesome too! I haven’t done it since high school, and would love to give it a try again. You’re making my to-do list when I do my Alaskan race grow and grow!
Also – love pigeon and lizard poses for my hips! They feel so good =)
Oh I hope that PR is close! Yeah the SUP place is an hour away so I’m probably not going to go as much as I’d like, but if I buy/rent a board I can do it on one of the many lakes in Anchorage on my own once I learn how to do it! I’m just down for trying as much as I can and hopefully finding something I love. Kayaking is my favorite water sport so far!
You’re on your way to achieving all of your goals.!! Great job 🙂 not a lot of people actually stick to their resolutions. I can’t even remember mine.! haha oops
Well honestly I never do, and my resolutions are usually ridiculous. This year I tried to make them more realistic and luckily I’ve been able to stick to them so far!
Way to go with your goals! You’re doing awesome! Good luck in your half in 2 weeks!
Those a great goals and awesome job on the prs! Keep it going!
Well done on the great progress! My goal-reaching is off to a slow start because of all my injuries this year (boo!) but I have beaten one – my mile PR – which was a total (but pleasant) surprise! Good luck with the rest of your goals this year! 🙂