Hi everyone! I seriously can’t believe it’s already July – it feels like just yesterday that I was running the Northern Lights Resolution Run and celebrating the end of 2014! Given the fact that we’re halfway through 2015 already, I wanted to do a quick check in of my goals for the year:
1. PR in all race distances: I’m actually doing pretty well in this! I got an automatic PR in my very first 12k a few weeks ago (and was super speedy!), PRed in the 5 mile distance, and technically got a PR for running my first 8.6 mile relay leg…if that’s a thing. I’m definitely faster than I was in the second half of last year and I’m hoping for a few more PRs later this year too!
2. Go sub-2:30 in a half marathon: Not yet. Deeeeeeep breaths. Not going to overthink the Her Tern Half in 2 weeks. Positive thoughts.
3. Get into yoga: I’ve been doing so much more yoga than ever before! I got into doing at home yoga with Yoga With Adrienne, participated in the #LoveYourHips instagram challenge, and have been doing short 10 minute yoga routines each morning/after each run made up of my favorite poses (sun salutations, hip openers, and pigeon!). I spent a few months trying out a few different studios around Anchorage, and yesterday I bought a 1 month membership to Anchorage Yoga just to try out a bunch of their classes! I’m hoping to go at least 3 times a week for some deep stretching. I’m definitely doing well on this one! It feels so good to stretch more after each run and to use yoga to wake up and get more energy. I don’t know why I didn’t do this one sooner!
4. Do more “Alaskan” cross training (AKA fun outdoor stuff): I have been hiking like crazy! I’ve also gotten into disc golf, done some kayaking, and have been exploring some trail running. Balancing hiking with half marathon training has been tough but it’s not like I can give up hiking in the summer! I also recently bought a groupon for SUP, archery lessons, and brew-ga (yoga in a brewery) so I’m excited to try those things out as well.
5. Run 500 miles throughout the year: This is going really well! I hit the halfway point in my long run last weekend, and I also discovered that my monthly milage has been steadily increasing since the winter. I ran 65.9 miles last month and I’m so excited about it!
In the second half of 2015 I’d like to focus on the following:
- Run some more 5ks. I would love to test out my HTH speed work by pushing hard in a shorter race, and I haven’t PRed in this distance since 2013.
- Run at least 1 more half after HTH. Any west coast fall half marathon suggestions?
- Survive Ragnar Colorado!
- Do a 30 day yoga challenge. I tried this in the winter and didn’t get through it. I’d love to take on that challenge again!
- Hike one longer distance trail. I’m hoping for either Lost Lake or Powerline Pass, both of which require cars at both ends of the trail and all day to complete the 14ish mile lengths.
- Learn how to ski. This is contingent on snow (which is why I didn’t get to do it last year) but the ski scene is pretty big here. I’m hoping to take a few classes to learn how to cross country ski on all of my running trails.
What were your big goals for 2015? Are you making any progress or totally making new goals?