Hi everyone! It’s FRIDAY! And my last day of work before going to Seattle for a week of training for work! So many awesome things are happening right now, and it’s perfect timing for this week’s Friday Five Linkup with Cynthia, Courtney, and Mar because the theme is “Five things that make me happy”!
But before I start with the all of the happy stuff, I do want to mention a few things that are going on in Alaska this week that aren’t so happy. The first thing is that it has been crazy ridiculously hot.
Yeah. For everyone rolling their eyes over my idea of crazy heat, remember this: you all have air conditioning. We don’t. And in order to get our apartment cool enough to live in, we have to either choose to keep the windows open while letting in all the midnight sunlight, or keep our blackout curtains closed and deal with the heat. I’ve been having a hard time sleeping this week because it’s really uncomfortable. For the record, we’ve been choosing to keep our curtains open a bit and it legit looks like I’m taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon.
The big reason that this heat is not a good thing is that it’s making everything really hot and dry here, which is a perfect recipe for wildfires. This week there have been almost 10 wildfires that have started in Alaska from either human reasons or lightening (we had dry thunderstorms on Tuesday). The biggest fire is in nearby Willow where a lot of dog sledding families live, so there are many homeless doggies out there right now 😦 The other big fire is in Kenai to the south of Anchorage and that fire is still really unpredictable and out of control. The smoke from the fires has been hitting Anchorage pretty hard and it’s supposed to get worse this weekend. I’m not a religious person, but if you are I think the people and dogs in Willow, Kenai, Cooper Landing, and the other locations could use a few wishes and prayers right now.
Things are kind of crazy here, but I’ve still had lots of things that have been keeping me happy this week!
1. The Midnight Sun: Yes, I just complained about it, but when it’s not super hot out I’m really in love with it. Sunday is the summer solstice and I’m SO excited! We will have 19 hours and 21 minutes of full sunlight with twilight for the other few hours. Last year involved hanging out around a campfire at midnight, but with this year’s burn ban that can’t happen. So we’re planning on doing a midnight hike instead! I love that I can do outdoor stuff whenever I want because of the endless sunshine.
2. S’more Oreos: They are basically portable S’mores. If you leave them in your car while you hike they’ll be nice and warm when you get back. You need them in your life.
3. Lower 48 Goodies: As I said above, I’ll be in Seattle all next week for training and you know what they have in Seattle? CHIPOTLE. And TJ Maxx and Trader Joe’s. All in the same shopping center near our retreat center. I CAN’T WAIT!!!!
4. The Kobuk: It’s a tiny little tourist shop downtown, but that’s not what I care about. In the back of the store is a small room where they have a coffee shop…and the best donuts in Alaska. Don’t believe me? Huffington Post doesn’t lie. I’ve missed having a really good donut place in my life (the situation was pretty grim here) and now I’ve found one! I swear I miss Philly less every day 🙂
5. Running Friends: I know I talked about this on Monday, but I’m really happy about the fact that I’ve got some running friends now! I never thought I’d say that because I really do love running alone, but it’s just so nice to have friends that understand that you need to spend hours running every weekend and having to do silly things like foam roll and take ice baths. I’m really happy that almost all of my coworkers love running, and I’m excited to run the Mayor’s Marathon relay with them tomorrow morning! We have matching outfits and we’re going to look awesome running across the finish line together!
What’s making you happy this week? What is your favorite place to get donuts? (seriously, I will need to come visit these places!)