Hi everyone! As you can tell from the title, I’ve got good news and bad news. I’ll start with the good news:
MY SHOES CAME!!!!! Right on time! And oh man, are they gloriously bright. I haven’t had shoes this bright since my first pair of Nike shoes that I ran in before I’d been analyzed and fully fitted for shoes. I honestly feel like Lisa Frank must have been on the design team for this one.
Anyways, I was so pumped to try them out! My initial test run up and down the hallway revealed that they felt so much better on my feet than my evil non-stability shoes. After taking both Sunday and Monday off and doing absolutely no workouts either day, I had high hopes for the short treadmill run that was on my schedule (10 minutes easy, 10 minutes steady, 10 minutes easy).
After about 10 seconds, I could tell something terrible was happening. While my feet didn’t have their usual pain, my legs immediately began aching again. And every once in a while there was a shooting pain up my legs to my groin. I had absolutely no pain during the steady run part, but when I turned the treadmill down to easy again I was in some serious pain. I cut my run short to 25 minutes and did a cool down walk, and then cried in my car. Back at my apartment, the pain only intensified. In some cruel twist, my feet feel fine but my legs and hips are sore and my left hip/groin has shooting pain whenever I put weight on it.
I’m injured. This is really happening.
Just typing those words makes me want to puke. I’m so upset. I’ve never really been injured. I’ve always half-assed my way through training (or in the case of Disney Princess, I stuck to a plan and got lucky) and been find, but now when I’m actually putting in the time and doing everything I can to stay on track this happens. Right now there are two parts of my brain that are trying to process this:
- FUCK. (Yep, that’s all I can think. #sorrynotsorry for swearing)
- I’m going to have to go to a doctor. I don’t have a doctor.
- How am I going to walk around at work tomorrow?
- HOW AM I GOING TO RUN 13.1 MILES IN 6 WEEKS?!?
- My longest run so far was 5 miles. 5. MILES. I have to get at least 5 more added on to my long run before I feel comfortable running a half. And I’m going to miss yet another long run.
- I have non-refundable plane tickets. I’m going to Utah. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IN UTAH NOW.
- I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how long to rest or how to get out of this.
- I have 6 weeks. I’m going to be able to catch up.
- I’m on pace to do 10 miles total by the end of this.
- No matter what happens, I’ll have fun in Utah. I can hike and do whatever I want! And I can always walk the half, right?
- I can always defer Zion and run a 5k in Vegas or something so that I can at least cross 1 race off my list during the trip.
- At least my shoe problem is fixed…right?
I don’t know what to do. I don’t have a doctor so I have no idea who I would need to call or if I even need to do it. For now, I’m taking a week off. I clearly need some serious time for my legs to get it together and stop hurting. And then maybe things will be okay. In the mean time, I’m going to do some yoga, stretch, foam roll like crazy (I already do it at least once a day but I need more help!), and try to figure out what’s wrong. If you have any advice I’d love to hear it!
Have you ever been injured? What did you do? How would you recommend I get back on track? How do you stop from totally freaking out?