Hi everyone! It’s Friday again which means it’s time for the Friday Five Linkup with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia! This week’s theme is “Favorite winter Activities”, but I’m tweaking it a bit! I’m going to start off by writing about winter activities that I want to try this year. I never got the chance to do these activities in Philly and I’m excited to try them in Alaska! And then I’ll finish up with 5 of my current favorite winter activities. I love winter and I’m so excited to get more snow and get cold enough temps to start doing everything on my lists!
5 things I’m dying to do this winter:
1. Outdoor ice skating: All the outdoor rinks are currently still classified as thin ice, but I am so ready to rent some skates and try this one out!
2. Cross country skiing: REI rents skis and the parks and rec department has classes (yes we are that uncoordinated that we probably need a class on how to move while wearing skis) so this will be done as soon as possible!
3. Snowshoeing: We don’t need these yet, but if we ever get a ton of snow and want to hike we’re going to need some snowshoes!
4. Snow machining: Known to people in the Lower 48 as “snow mobiling” – I was told that if I say that here I’ll look like a tourist. Great. No chance of this happening since we don’t know anyone who has one, but it looks like fun!
5. Running in the dark: I’m so afraid to do this because of the close run-ins I’ve had with moose that were lurking near me in the forest without me noticing until it was too late, but I have to get over it at some point because it’s so dark after work!
5 of my current favorite winter activities:
1. Running in the snow: SO MUCH BETTER THAN SUMMER RUNNING. My studded shoes have made such a difference and now it’s like I’m running on normal snow-free ground – except it’s prettier!
2. Finding the Northern Lights: I’ve done this once already, but I want to see them as much as possible while it’s so dark out!
3. Building snowmen: When it starts snowing I immediately drop everything to do this. I can’t help it!
4. Perfecting my winter baking skills: I’m currently eating some incredible candy cane chocolate cookies that were made possible by my lovely Kitchen Aid. I made them twice this week. #sorrynotsorry
5. Catching up on my reading list: I brought so many books with me to Alaska – I’ve read most but there’s a list of ones I’m planning on reading all winter long!
I’ve got a lot to do – I better get started ASAP! And if you’re looking for a fun winter activity that will get you outside on the darkest day of the year, join me at the Solstice Sprint Virtual 5K on December 21st! It’s the first virtual race I’ve ever hosted and all of the details can be found here. We’ve already got quite a few people signed up and I can’t wait to run “with” everyone!
What’s on your to-do list this winter? What are your favorite winter activities?