Hi everyone! It’s December, and you know what that means? Time to make those holiday wish lists! Last year I made a long list of all the running things my heart desired, but this year I’m narrowing it down to 5 things that all of you should have on your wish list that I’m in love with, and the 5 running things on my wish list now that I live in Alaska!
5 things that all runners should wish for:
1. BAMR Bands – these are my favorite running headbands! They don’t slip, come in tons of cute patterns, and are cheaper than big brands out there. Check out my review of them here. Unfortunately you won’t see them on any of my outdoor runs until the temps are in the 40s again. But they’re great for the gym!
2. A foam roller – this chunk of foam has made a huge difference in my ability to recover from long runs. It really hurts so good and totally takes away any pain I have. I even used it the other day after spending all day in my Sorel boots and I felt great afterwards!
3. YakTrax Run – if you’re not able to stud your shoes, get a pair of YakTrax Run shoe covers! They fit snugly over your running shoes so that you can transform into an amazing winter running machine! They work really well on packed snow and ice. If you’re trying to get into outdoor winter running, this will make you so much more comfortable on your runs! Believe me, you won’t fall!
4. A Road ID – I just got mine in the mail and haven’t tried it out yet (look for a review soon!) but I love that it’s literally a life saver. Mine includes important information about my family heart disease as well as emergency contact numbers so that if anything happens (like a moose attack) the first responders will know who to call.
5. Pro Compression Marathon socks – I got a pair of pink ones last winter and fell in love with these socks! When I was a new runner, compression socks intimidated me for some reason – are they too tight? Do I need them? Are they hard to get on and off? But after wearing them after a tough run I was hooked! They go on pretty easily and have a nice squeeze feeling that really helps make your legs feel better (hey, just like my foam roller but with less work!). I started wearing them after every long run for a few hours. As I began running my long training runs on my treadmill for the Disney Princess Half, I wondered if my Pro Compression socks could help make my legs feel better during the run too. And after wearing them once during a long run I never went without them again! They helped prevent any muscle pain in my lower legs which is great on a 2 hour run. I highly recommend them if you run because not only are they comfortable, they’re cute too! Pro Compression has a ton of colors and fun prints available on their website, and they’re always running great deals to help you save money. Right now, you can get 40% off your order if you use the code PINK2 by December 15th. The snowflake socks are on my wish list right now – they would be perfect for a snowy run! Pro Compression sent me an awesome pair of black marathon socks recently* and I love that even though they’re not a super bright color, they will go with all of my running outfits.
5 things that I’m wishing for up here in Alaska:
1. The Brooks Infiniti Headband – yes, this was on my wish list last year. And I even gave one away to a lucky reader. But honestly, it is so warm and comfy that I want more! I found it with a “run happy” print on it, and although Brooks sold out they’re luckily sold in other running stores online! I love how it perfectly covers my ears without taking over most of my face.
2. A Polar Fleece Buff – I love my original Buff and my trail scarf from Run Pretty Far, but now that I’m in Alaska I need to step it up a notch. The original version is super thin, and while it helps keep my neck warm during runs I’d like something a bit heavier when it starts getting super cold. I’ll also be able to wear it while skiing and snowshoeing so it’s definitely at the top of my list.
3. Really good running mittens – After reading an article on the best running gloves on Be Well Philly, I discovered these 3-in-1 mittens from Eastern Mountain Sports. They come with touchscreen gloves as well as a waterproof outer mitten to keep your hands warm (with a nose wiping area too!). I love that they’re convertible for varying weather situations.
4. A headlamp – I have resisted so far, but I am now becoming one of those runners who owns a headlamp. It’s just so dark here all the time! After doing some research, I learned that the Black Diamond Spot headlamp was named the “best headlamp” for all-around use at a lower price point. Although I won’t have any use for a headlamp during the summer due to our awesome midnight sun situation, I do need it now while we have 5 hours of sunlight a day and there are moose lurking in the woods where I run.
5. A tablet – I am signing up for the gym any day now (no, really) and once I shell out that incredible amount of money to join I’m going to actually need to go running there. And since treadmill running is kind of rough without trashy reality TV to get me through it, I want a tablet so that I can watch whatever I want while I’m running! I’ll be half marathon training through the winter and I need all the help I can get in order to get through my 2.5 hour runs. And that’s a lot of Teen Mom right there.
So there it is! My 2014 Holiday Wish List. I hope you found some great new products and have some new ideas for your lists to Santa! As for me, my tree is all decorated now and I’m excited to see what shows up underneath it in a few weeks!
What’s on your wish list this year? Does your list have anything in common with mine?
*Disclaimer: I was given a pair of Pro Compression socks free in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own, especially about the cuteness of the snow socks. Which I still want for Christmas FYI 🙂