Hi everyone! Fun fact: By the time you read this, my week of training will probably be over and I will be heading back to Alaska after a month of being in the Lower 48! I’m excited to start unpacking everything in our apartment and finally meet my students and the few coworkers in the Anchorage office! Plus running in 30-40 degree weather sounds much nicer than in the 70-80 degree weather I’ve had for the past month and I can’t wait to explore the running trails in Anchorage!
Anyways, I’ve been so busy the last month that I’ve had to skip a lot of Friday Five linkups with Eat Pray Run DC, You Signed Up For What?!, and Mar on the Run. But this week I’m back because it’s about one of my favorite things: food! More specifically, food that we use to fuel our running.
Before a run:
1. Oatmeal: Specifically anything cinnamon or brown sugar flavored. Right now I’m all over the Better Oats Maple and Brown Sugar Steel Cut Oats, which I buy at Target. It’s so yummy and filling, and it never makes my stomach hurt while running!
2. Pretzels: For some reason, If I’m starving before running and I eat these I feel pretty good! I’ve also eaten them after long runs and I think the salt really helps me feel better!
During a run:
3. Jelly Belly Sport Beans: I love Fruit Punch Sport Beans! They taste pretty good and they don’t ever make me sick or feel like I’m in pain while running. I usually go through 1 entire pack during a half marathon – I take 3 every 30-45 minutes after the first 45 minutes of my run depending on how I’m feeling that day. Nothing else I’ve tried has given me the same boost of energy I get with these.
After a run:
4. Chocolate milk: As soon as I found out that chocolate milk is used by athletes to refuel after they run, I was sold! You don’t need to convince me to drink chocolate milk after a long run 🙂 Darigold is my favorite brand, but I think that’s a west coast thing? It’s really delicious though and is seriously the most perfect thing after a long run or race!
5. Nuun: Specifically Strawberry Lemonade! After a long run, Nuun really helps me feel better faster. I’ve started craving it after long runs and love the fizziness!
Sadly, donuts didn’t make the list. They’re awesome for a post-run celebration, but I like to eat well right before and after I run because I’ve learned the hard way that pizza is not good pre-run fuel!
What are your favorite types of fuel before, during, and after a run? Who else is obsessed with post-run chocolate milk?