Hi everyone! It’s Friday again and time for the linkup with Eat Pray Run DC, You Signed Up For What?!, and Mar on the Run. This week we’re talking about race day rituals! I think that every runner has their own routine on race day and it’s always fun seeing how each person prepares for a race! My next half marathon is a little over 2 weeks away, and I can already tell what I’ll be doing on race day!
1. I don’t sleep very well the night before the race. No matter how prepared I am for the race, I still can’t help how nervous I get! I’m usually a mess the day before and find it hard to sleep through the night. It’s a combo of excitement and nerves, and I’ve never run a race without it!
2. I only eat oatmeal for breakfast. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it! Brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal is my only choice for race day breakfast (and for pre long run fuel too!)
3. I pay way too much attention to my Garmin. I start it super early so that I’m ready to cross the start line, I check my pace every mile and attempt to do math in my head, and I’m always turning it off right as I cross the finish. You know you’ve got those Garmin finish line pictures too!
4. Eating is an actual event. I always start off slow with a banana, chocolate milk, and a bagel until my stomach calms down. But my post-race lunch is always epic! My post-race meals have consisted of everything from pancakes (Disney Princess) to milkshakes (Hershey 10k) to amish-style chicken pot pie (Kris Kringle 5 miler). Back in Philly I almost always ate a breakfast sandwich from Wawa, but here in Anchorage I’ll have to come up with a new post-race food ritual!
5. I start planning my next race as soon as it’s over. No matter how hard a race was, I’m usually researching my next race less than 24 hours later. What can I say, I’m totally addicted to races!
What are your race day rituals? What is your most epic post-race meal?