Hi everyone! It’s Friday and time for another Friday Five linkup with Mar on the Run, Eat Pray Run DC, and You Signed Up For What?!. This week is a topic that has me SO CRAZY EXCITED! We’re doing a fall preview and I seriously can’t wait to start thinking about fall!
This is how my running trail looks right now!
You may have heard me mention it in Wednesday’s post, but up here in Alaska it already is fall! Morning/night temps are in the 40s, I can see my breath when I’m outside, and the leaves are already changing colors and beginning to fall. And honestly, I’m ready for it! Fall is my favorite season and I love planning fun things to do! Fall is a short season in Alaska, so many of the following things are happening on our trip down to Seattle/Philly in 3 weeks. So what 5 things am I looking forward to most this fall season?
- The Beat The Blerch Half Marathon in Carnation, WA: This race sold out in less than 30 minutes, and it’s obvious why – not only do I get to run with The Oatmeal and have him sign his newest book about running, I get to eat Nutella and cake at the aid stations and may occasionally be chased by The Blerch! I am so exited for this race and kind of tempted to start using Nutella as long run fuel.
- Yuengling’s Oktoberfest 5k in Bethlehem, PA: This may just be a 5k, but I’m treating it like a huge event! Mostly because I’m running it with some of my friends and there will be so much food and beer at the end. Yay!
- Apple and pumpkin picking: I’m going to do this when we go home and I can’t wait for all the typical fall things! The orchard we go to has the biggest, juiciest apples ever and some seriously good cider donuts! Plus they serve Pennsylvania Dutch pumpkin ice cream (I can’t remember the brand but it is AWESOME) and you know how I am about pumpkin desserts! And carving pumpkins is always fun, and probably something I can’t do in Alaska. This whole post is about fall so I had to share the one super fall activity that we have planned!
- Being in my best friend’s wedding: I am so honored to have been asked to be a bridesmaid in my best friend’s wedding on October 4th in PA! She was my maid of honor and I can’t wait to be part of her special day too! The wedding is the main reason we’re going home in a few weeks so I’m pretty excited to do all the fun bridesmaid stuff that I missed while I was in Alaska and see her finally get married!
- Moving and starting a new job: I still have no concrete job details to share with you – I will say that I did receive a rather informal job offer in Anchorage but I’m still going to interview at a few more places and will make my final decision in 2 weeks when we finish up in Seward. It’s nice to know that I have something in place in case I can’t get a more serious job offer before we leave (long story)! In the mean time, Andrew is still looking for a job and we’re trying to find a nice, cheap apartment to move into! And is it too much to ask for it to be kind of near the running store so I can go to all the fun events? Priorities.
And because any fall post isn’t complete without it, I would like to give an honorable mention to PSLs, which are on my plan for the entire fall season. Think I’m crazy? Then you clearly didn’t read this post. All you haters can calm down and just accept that this is where all my money and calories are going for the next 3 months.
What are your big plans this fall? Do you have any races planned?
24 thoughts on “Friday Five: Fall Preview!”
Looking forward to your Blerch report! Looks like you will have a great fall with your visit back East 🙂 Of course the marathon will be my big race, but I am also looking forward to the Wineglass Half. Plus looking fwd to eating all the pumpkin stuff there is!
Yay to eating all the pumpkin stuff! It’s the best part of fall!
I’ve been commenting so much about pumpkin baking I forgot all about apple picking and baking. Yep! Ready for fall!
I can’t wait for pumpkin baking! But I had some homemade apple crisp last night and yeah, apple baking is good too 🙂
It sounds like you have a pretty great trip coming up! Running and weddings? Does it get any better? Have fun!
I know! I’m so excited!
That’s awesome that you managed to get into the Blerch. I’ll be doing the virtual option. I like the idea of nutella in little packets like GU.
Nothing wrong with treating a 5K as a big deal, especially when it’s brought to you by Yuengling.
Haha I hope The Oatmeal thinks of doing that! I actually ran out of Nutella (the horror!) but I need to buy some and try to eat some during my next run. It’s awesome you’re doing the virtual race, make sure to eat cake at the halfway point! And yeah, Yuengling is going to put on quite the event so I’m really looking forward to it!
I love the fall too! But we have to wait a couple of more months for it to finally find us here in Florida. That Blerch race looks amazing! Good luck on your move and new job!! 🙂
Oh man, that would be the worst part about living in a warm place! I’m so excited that I get to experience fall early this year. Enjoy your frozen pumpkin drinks until it gets cooler!
Apples! I love fall apples… they get shoved to the side for pumpkins 🙂
I just had an amazing apple crisp last night so I totally get this! I love pumpkin stuff but yeah, apples are pretty awesome too!
ummm…sooo…. I just heard that due to an early frost nearly 70% of the Hazelnut crop was wiped out this year, which means that Nutella is either going to be IMPOSSIBLE to find next year, or it’s going to be super expensive. Stock up NOW!! Also you’re running in the Yuengling’s Oktoberfest 5k in Bethlehem?! I was just considering this run last week… Yuengling is my favvvvvorite!
WHAT. Noooooo!!!! I need to get the massive 2 pack at Costco now!
And yes I am! You should definitely sign up, it looks like a total blast!
I forgot to mention apple pie!
I’m more of a pumpkin pie fan (it’s the only kind my mom used to buy in the fall) but yeah, fall pies are so yummy!
YES! I love fall too! When are you coming this way and where do you go for apple picking!? I can’t wait to make some pumpkin spice cookies!
I’m going to be in Reading (where my parents live) from September 23 through October 5th. I’m going to try to get down to Philly whenever possible, so we should totally meet up for a run or something! And I’ve been going to Weaver’s Orchard out in Morgantown for years – the apples are SO GOOD and they sell the best cider and cider donuts! It’s probably an hour from Philly but it’s worth it!
Running with the Oatmeal guy? That would be sooooo incredible!
I am so excited to meet him! We have the same views on cats and cake 🙂
oh. my. GOD!!!! Yuengling 5K?!?!?! first off, that’s my favorite beer, a PA staple and 2nd I need to figure out a way to make that happen… yowsers!
Do it!!!! They have this race in Bethlehem (during Oktoberfest!) and they also have the Yuengling Light Lager Jogger in Pottsville and you can tour their brewery after the race! I’m so sad I never got to do that one!
You have so many exciting things coming up this fall! Yay for traveling, seeing friends, being in a wedding, and running with friends! That Yuengling 5k sounds like its going to be awesome!
Thanks! I’m glad I’ve got so much going on in the next month!