Hi everyone! Sorry for the short break from blogging, but things have been busy on the job search front and I’m hoping I’ll have more to share with you about that later this week! For now, I’m just going to say that I’ve been up in Anchorage for the last few days doing job interviews. And I’m totally okay with running from one interview to another for the past two days because on Monday, the most incredible and delicious drink made its 2014 debut:
Yes, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are BAAAAACK! And I have already had 3 this week! Now before I go any farther, I know that they are not healthy and since this blog is semi-health related I shouldn’t even condone this kind of behavior. But I can’t help it. And according to Buzzfeed and all the posts I’m seeing on Facebook, there are tons of people out there who feel the same way! Fall is quickly approaching up here in Alaska. The leaves are changing colors and this was my weather report this morning:
I’m not going to lie, this is one of the main reasons I moved to Alaska! I love fall and hate the typical hot August weather we get at home, so I’m all about wearing a fleece on chilly August mornings! And I think that nothing goes better with crisp mornings than a warm, cinnamon and pumpkin flavored drink!
Now, I know that there are tons of bad things in PSLs. I’ve been seeing this link going around on my Facebook newsfeed and while I read it and respected what she had to say about the ingredients, I’ve got a few things to say about it. First of all, most things that typical americans eat and drink are full of stuff like this. I think most people who drink PSLs are aware that there is no pumpkin in it and it’s full of sugar. In fact, some people are fighting back agains the above website and posting facts that say that PSLs probably won’t kill you. If you’re eating a clean diet and sticking to whole healthy foods like you should be, then you will obviously not be drinking these. But since I’m pretty far away from a clean diet, I’m going to continue drinking PSLs all fall long. Starting now.
Why am I so crazy about PSLs?
- I LOVE FALL. It’s the best time of the year and once PSLs come out, I feel like it’s officially fall!
- They taste awesome. Warm or iced, it doesn’t matter. It’s just a really yummy drink!
- I love cinnamon flavored stuff. Cinnamon rolls have been my downfall this summer, and coffee plus cinnamon is the best combination ever!
- It’s offered for a limited time only. This kind of marketing strategy makes me mad, but I’m totally on board with this one. I will eat as many pumpkin things as I possibly can between now and Thanksgiving (or until I get sick of them!) just because I can.
- PSLs have their own twitter account. Check it out at @TheRealPSL! I’ve never followed a drink on twitter before, but I guess this is the time to start!
- You can’t recreate them at home. You can try, but they taste awful. Our office tried it last week and it was the worst Pinterest fail ever. If you have your own coffee shop then you should totally try it, but for now I’m going to leave it to the professionals.
- It brings people together! My coworkers and I have been talking about this for weeks now, and we are so excited that we can finally drink them at work! The local barista ordered some pumpkin spice flavoring from Khaladi Brothers and I am so excited to try that later this week!
I know that drinking PSLs is a bad habit, and I’d be healthier and save a lot of money if I didn’t do it. But this is my one big seasonal drink obsession – I don’t care for Peppermint Mochas or Shamrock Shakes and I usually stick to iced caramel lattes so I think it’s okay if I go crazy once a year. Luckily my wallet won’t allow me to go overboard, but I’ll probably still try to get at least one a week! It helps that the only Starbucks in Safeway is not within close walking distance of my office, so I can try to resist them!
Are you obsessed with PSLs? How many have you had this week so far?