Hi everyone! It’s been almost a week since my doctor visit, and I’ve been making some changes. I’m still in the beginning stages, but so far I’ve been totally coffee free and drinking lots more water than usual. I read that I should be drinking about half my body weight in ounces of water, and I think I reached that a few times last week! It’s tough, but I feel better doing it. And I’m realizing how thirsty I’ve been! I even make sure to hydrate with Nuun after running so that I’m doing all that I can to rehydrate my body after working out. I’ve also been eating more vegetables, although I’m still eating a few sweet treats throughout the day. Yesterday our office had a potluck, and it was not my proudest lunch hour. But we’re taking baby steps here! I’m more aware of what I’m doing to my body now and I’m learning some self control. I plan on focusing on healthier eating this week!
One thing I’ve been trying at the recommendation of all of you is yoga! I’ve managed to do a few sessions off youtube, but with my crazy internet connection here it’s been tough to get through a whole session at night which is when I feel like I need it the most. There is nothing like finally starting to relax and realizing that the video is not loading anymore! I’m going to keep up with it and try a few different videos before I share more about how that’s going. My heart/chest pain happens less often now, but I still woke up to some intense stomach pains the other day which intensified whenever I thought of something stressful (aka every 5 minutes) and didn’t feel better until my lunch break once the hardest part of my day was over. It turns out that if I worry enough, I can make myself feel pretty terrible! I even got myself worked up on a run this weekend and had such bad stomach pains at the end. I’m hoping I can start dealing with my stress better this week, I seriously just want one day without anything to worry about!
In order to get excited about these new changes and keep focusing on the positives, I’ve been checking out some blogs online for advice. In the process I found the following few articles online this week and I thought they were worth sharing!
- According to this study, running 5 minutes a day will add 3 years to your life. That’s reason enough for me to keep running! My favorite part about this study was that the people who identified themselves as runners had a 45% lower risk of dying from heart-related issues. Since I have a history of heart disease I find this very reassuring and will use this as motivation when I try to skip my next run!
- This article is full of tips on making sure you’re running with good form. I’m pretty sure I have terrible form so I’m going to take note of these things! It suggests doing a head-to-toe inventory once or twice per run to make sure you’re running with good form. I never think about it so I’m excited to try this next time!
- A new fitness tracker that will give you an electric shock when you sleep through your morning wake ups or skip the gym! It’s based on Pavlov’s experiments, and the point is that you will begin to associate oversleeping or laying around after work when you should be at the gym with a negative consequence (the shock). I think it sounds terrifying and would make me hate working out, but negative consequences do help build habits so this might work for some people!
- I totally understand this runner who says they love to run alone. Yes to all of those reasons, especially number 8! Running is a way for me to spend time outdoors, enjoying my surroundings and de-stressing after a tough day. I think running with other people distracts from that, although it can be fun sometimes!
- When looking up articles nutrition plans for runners, I stumbled across an article from Runner’s World on the Food Pyramids for Runners. I’ve included it below. Pyramid #3 is spot on! Hoping I can get rid of the “donuts” section of my food pyramid!
As for non-internet things I’m loving this week, I’ve got quite a few:
- Water bottles that have measurements on the side. I feel so good about myself when I’m able to refill it and say “Oh I just drank 24 ounces, here’s 48!”. I love seeing progress towards my goals!
- Running in the rain. I’m talking a light drizzle with the clouds looking all crazy in the bay. See the above running picture if you don’t believe me 🙂
- Books. They distract me from my own life and give me something to look forward to each day. My coworker just lent me Orphan Train and I’m so excited to start reading it!
- Buying shoes. I bought some new TOMS in Anchorage last week at Zumiez (I have never shopped there in my life) and they were on sale for $29!!!!! They are wool and fleece-lined and incredible. I can’t wait for cooler weather so I can wear them all the time!
- The fact that the dinner cruise that our company runs ended last night! From now on Andrew will get home from work 1 hour earlier and we can try to eat dinners together again! Cooking for 1 in that kitchen is rough. My coworkers and I took the final dinner cruise last night and had a blast though!
I can’t thank everyone enough for all of your support last week. It’s hard admitting that I’m doing crazy things to my body with my lack of hydration, terrible eating habits, and total stress. I’m going to continue to take small steps to getting healthier and hopefully I’ll continue to have successes along the way!
What are you loving this week? Have you read any interesting blog posts lately?