Hi everyone! It’s Friday…unfortunately not my true Friday since I have to work the next two days, but the good news is that it’s time for another Friday Five with You Signed Up For What?!, Mar on the Run, and Eat Pray Run DC. This week we’re talking about goals and I was so excited to sit down and make my new list of goals for the next few months. I think that you can learn a lot about someone from their goals, and I’m excited to read about everyone else’s goals this week!
1. Run a sub-2:30 half marathon and not feel like I’m going to die at the end. I’ve been hoping for that ever since I started running, and I am less than 1 minute and a whole lot of pain away from that goal. I have one more half marathon left this year (Beat the Blerch in September!) and I’m hoping I can do it! I am so pumped for this training plan!
2. Go backpacking. I want to do this soooo bad, but it’s also kind of intense up here in Alaska. We have to tie our food up in a tree so the bears don’t come into our tent at night, the mosquitoes are relentless and huge, and it’s cold yet sunny at night. But I spent some time today researching basic backpacking supplies and I think I’m ready to possibly buy some soon! Top trails I have in mind: Caines Head, Lost Lake, and Johnson Pass. But there are so many long trails up here that I want to try out and backpacking is my key to getting there!
3. Find a job that I love. This might actually be the hardest thing on here. I know that I’m passionate about working with children and young adults with disabilities, and I’m looking for a job here in Alaska that incorporates part of my old job with less time driving and more actual lunch breaks. Teaching might just fit that description, so I’m going to work on getting certified up here in Alaska (lots of paperwork and transcript/Praxis/certification transferring, but it should take less than a year!) and hopefully I’ll find a place where I fit in, feel appreciated, and enjoy most parts of my day. At the very least, I’d like to make enough money to rent a nice little apartment in Anchorage so we don’t have to move back home!
4. Join a running group and not be too afraid to go. I really need running friends, and coincidently I also need a whole new set of friends up here in Alaska. Why not combine both goals into one? This is such a scary goal for me because even though I’m outgoing, I’m so self conscious and slightly awkward when it comes to meeting new people that I want to like me. Plus even with all my running experience, I still feel like such a newbie when I meet runners who train for real and run marathons every month – why would they want to talk to me? Hopefully I can find a chill group of runners who like eating post-run 🙂 I will fit right in!
5. Find a cross training method that I enjoy, and do it regularly. I really don’t think hiking is the best method of cross training since it still uses my leg muscles, so I’m going to try to add something that incorporates less legs and more overall toning. But don’t worry, I’ll still hike almost every day! Yoga hiking is the new thing up here…
Those are my 5 biggest goals right now. I’m hoping that by the end of October I’ll have crossed all these goals off my list! I think that right after a big event like a half marathon, the best thing to do is make a new list of goals to keep me looking forward to the next big thing. I love challenges so I’m excited to take these on in the next 3 months! And honestly, I’m so excited to get started with the Anchorage job hunt/apartment hunt/final move so that we can finally start our new lives up here!
What is your biggest goal right now? Do you have any of the same goals that I do?