Hi everyone! As if you couldn’t tell from every single one of the posts I’ve done recently, I have a half marathon on Sunday! The Her Tern Half Marathon in Anchorage to be exact! It’s my first race in Alaska and my first time running in Anchorage so I’m pretty excited to see what the course is like – I heard there might be moose on the trails! Anyways, to keep up with my half marathon blog post theme that I have going on, this week’s Friday Five with Mar on the Run, Eat Pray Run DC, and You Signed Up For What?! is “Friday Favorites” and I’ve chosen to write about my favorite things about half marathons.
1. The race expo. I love shopping and I love running, so when you put both of them together I get really excited! I usually try to buy at least one item from each half marathon I run. I’m still so proud of the fact that I’m able to get there in the first place and want to remember that feeling later…with a race-themed headband 🙂 I’ve only been to race expos at half marathons so that’s a fun perk of this race distance!
2. The pre-race jitters. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with these. I hate being nervous, but I love that element of “what if?” that comes with it. Will I PR? Will I run my fastest mile ever in a half marathon? Will I finish strong? It’s exciting to think about all the things that can turn out awesome after running such a long distance! I also love setting out my race items before a race. It almost has that first-day-of-school feeling where you’re so excited to get into that outfit and see what the day brings!
3. Wearing my shiny new race bling. I love getting medals in all races, but I really love my half marathon medals the most. I really earned those things, and I’m proud of them. I usually wear my race medals all day after the race, even out in public! This race doesn’t have a medal, but it does have a pretty designer bracelet that I am excited to wear all the time.
4. Going home and eating all the food. Literally, I eat everything I want after a race. I make no limits – hey, I just burned roughly 1,300 calories!! After long runs I eat pretty healthy, but after races I throw all that out the window and eat a pizza and a donut. I don’t even care how unhealthy that makes me sound, you know you all do it 🙂 Of course I start out with a banana, bagel, and Nuun, but once my stomach is settled I start in on the real food! After Sunday’s race I plan on eating pizza at the Moose’s Tooth before taking a nap on the car ride home!
5. Saying “I ran a half marathon today”. This will never, ever get old. Those are words I never thought I’d say up until earlier this year and I can’t wait to say them again on Sunday!
If you follow me on twitter, stay tuned for lots of race updated throughout the weekend. I’m not as prepared as I wanted to be, but I’m excited to see what I’m capable of doing on Sunday! Wish me luck!
What are your favorite things about half marathons? What’s your favorite thing about running races in general?